OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:24:04 -0500
after a brief and not very successful attemptat hand-feeding the birds on the overlook shelter@ N Chagrin (1 chickadee took 1 seed!)we were surrounded by chickadees, TTMice, WBNHatches,Hairy, Downy, RBelly and BJays who considered our offerings (and heard pileated). 2 friends and i headed to Eastlake Power plant(time around 10 am)chain was up as were the wavesvery few birds (plant not running at the time)less that 50 gulls seen - only RBGulls IDeda few small rafts of RBMergs to Simscould not locate any Scoters-  there were 100-ish Goldeneyes in a long thin raft pretty far out and mostly east of the piera few fly-by RBGulls and some westward flying  groups of RBMergs to Wildwood the bay held NO birds  25-ish RBGulls were rsting on the dock to Gordon Park  in the bay between the launch and Dike 14 wereGadwall - 4American Coot - 30+Mallard - 4Pied-billed Grebe - 1RBMergs - less than a dozenvery few gulls anywhere to be seen to the CEI out/inletsless than 20 RBMergsG-eyes - 3very few flying gulls head to Wendy - BUT - while heading westward we spot Bonies and stop to see if anything good - the bonies werein foraging lines between The Coast Guard Stationand The USS Codthere were about 200 birds either "type writing the water"or swimming. we could not find any other gull types here - there were a few Coots and Mallards mixed in (nothing else) to Wendydriving over the bridge gave us a peek of what wasn't to be found - there was a raft of about 300 gulls about 200 yds off shore - mostly RBGulls with a very few HGulls. a few GEyes were also seen and less that20 RBMergs. (guess we should have hit Huron and Lorain)we did see 4 RSHawks in Will Hills driving, a few RTHawks and possibly the RT 2 Bald Eagles as well.  buster