From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:22:06 -0400
I spent several hours today at Hoover Reservoir in search of the gull in
question, and found it on the docks just above the dam at about 4:10 pm. I
believe this is the same location where it was found, and the same location
where Bill Whan saw the gull.

I noticed the immaculate plumage of this bird, as Bill did. The white parts
were bright white.

When I saw it there was a Herring Gull nearby in similar plumage. The gull
in question was definitely a darker shade of gray than the Herring Gull. At
one time there was an immature Herring Gull beside the subject gull, and a
Ring-billed Gull on a "shelf" immediately behind the subject gull. The
subject Gull was definitely an intermediate size.

The legs were definitely yellow, although not a bright a yellow as shown in
Sibley. There might have been a tinge of green, but I probably wouldn't have
noticed that if I was not looking for it.

The eye appeared dark, with perhaps a slight red ring. I did not see any
light area, but I was not a close as Bill. I don't want to doubt Bill's
observation, but I would raise the possibility that there was light
reflection which gave the appearance of a light iris.

I also have some digiscope photos, although my view was directly to the
front of the bird. I will try to get them posted tomorrow for everyone's
perusal.

I am not sure why there is doubt as to the identity of this bird. Is there
any gull other than California Gull this could be? I realize the OBRC will
have to make the final decision, but I am pretty well convinced.

Gene Stauffer

Grove City