OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:03:54 -0400
After lunch at The White Turkey Drive-In, interesting casual dining 1.3 miles east of the intersection of SR7 and US20, we returned to The Sandspit. We were immediately rewarded with wonderful views of the two, possibly summering, Least Bitterns on the back of the wetland pool east of the observation tower. The Red-necked Phalarope remained but the Red Knots and Ruddy Turnstones appeared to be gone. Shorebird numbers seemed to have increased, with at least 8 White-rumped Sandpipers now, and the addition of 4 Western Sandpipers. Some of the the other birds of interest were a Green Heron, Bank Swallows, and a lone female Common Merganser in the bay, east of The Sandspit. 2 juvenile Bald Eagles constantly had things stirred up. Something that seemed out of the ordinary for here, there were no Double-crested Cormorants seen. Upon our departure at 2PM, the rain had stopped, we had a great 5 hours of birding, and amazingly, we were the only people at The Sandspit thru the entire vist.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County