OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2012 12:41:24 -0700
Dramatic reduction in numbers from a week ago - and habitat, too.  At Pickerel, of the three impoundments so productive last week one has dried completely, one dried substantially, and the last has been filled with water.  Willow Point, on the other hand, still shows good habitat. And finally, Pipe Creek's Unit B still has yet to reveal significant mudflats, but a tiny bit of mud is showing, which is a start!  A couple years ago this impoundment offered the best shorebirding in the state, and when drawn down offers great habitat for a variety of shorebirds, with varying depths.  30 Dickcissels were tallied on Pickerel Creek property, and it is to the point that this is probably the most common landbird species in this area, this year.  Unreal.  I did confirm an agitated female carrying food, and it sounded as though there were young in the grass.  Also, at Pipe Creek, there were a pair of redstarts present, and again the female had a beak
 full of food...sort of marginal habitat in my opinion, and the first time I've had them breeding here.

Pickerel Creek WA:

Greater Yellowlegs  3
Lesser Yellowlegs  24
Least Sandpiper  17