OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:02:42 -0400
This morning we set out to see what might be at Hoover. We were looking for shorebirds, unusual cormorants and to see if the immature Little Blue was still at the Sunbury Rd bridge. We found no unusual shorebirds, but there is sure some good habitat for shorebirds as the fall migration continues. We did not see as many cormorants as we did a week ago and all were our usual Double-crested Cormorants.

The highlight of the birding this morning was the immature Little Blue Herons that we saw. We first saw one all white (immature) with its bi-colored bill and greenish legs by the Sunbury Rd. bridge in almost the same spot where we saw one on Monday. Still here! Great! We then went to the east side of Hoover and parked by the yacht club entrance and walked on the old road and then worked our way out to Pelican Island and headed north. We had walked to at least the second large bay of water to the north looking for shorebirds. Then we saw that there were white egrets on the west shore. But, scope views showed that there were TWO immature Little Blue Herons (all white, bi-colored bill, greenish legs). Oh, to only know if the one at the bridge was still there!! About ten minutes later my phone rang and it was Bill Kinkead and guess what! He had just seen the immature Little Blue Heron by the bridge. While we can't be 100% sure that Bill was looking at one while we were looking at two, the timing is so close that there is certainly a great possibility that there are 3 immature Little Blue Herons at Hoover. As we left the area we drove slowly over the Sunbury Rd. bridge. Two birders (Ron Sempier and Jason Simonis) were down on the mud flats looking at TWO Little Blues and pointed in their direction so that we could see TWO from our car!!!

We were unable to relocate the adult Little Blue Heron that was reported from the dam area at Hoover earlier this week. We did stop and look for it.

Good Birding!

Doreene Linzell

P.S. Hoover Dam is in the Central Ohio area. The southern part is in Franklin and north of the County Line Bridge it is in Delaware Co.