OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:00:19 -0400
What a nice surprise this morning at our place east of Chagrin Falls in
Geauga County - 8 turkeys walking across the front yard, around the house
and into the horse pasture!  One large bird was leading 7 smaller, but
uniform size, birds.  They appeared to be young-of-the-year.

The Turkey's bring their young to our pastures every June/July - anywhere
from 5 - 7 poults.  These are the largest young we have ever seen and were
probably a result of the early warm weather and favorable conditions in the
spring (all my assumptions - no basis in fact or research J).

Yesterday afternoon about 6pm I photographed 10 young Bobolink's in one
picture at Frohring Meadows (Geauga Park District property just east of
Chagrin Falls on Savage Road).  There were some adult females moving about
but most of the birds appeared to be young of the year.  There were more
than 10 in the area which was right behind the picnic pavilion.  Some
Savannah Sparrows, a Song Sparrow and plenty of Killdeer and E. Bluebirds as
well!   A few Barn Swallows over the bone-dry wetland!  If you walk under
the power lines you can see Common Yellowthroat, Indigo Bunting, Yellow
Warbler, E. Towhee, Goldfinch and hear Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in the trees
on either side of the power lines.  20 species in about 90 minutes.  NO
Sedge Wren even though I played its song on my iPhone several times on the
north side of the wetland.

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH