OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 14:38:34 -0500
I scooted through the snow squalls to visit several spots in Dublin,  This NW Columbus suburb often attracts winter strays to its parks and the Scioto River.  I stopped at O'Shaughnessy Dam, Twin Lakes, Glacier Ridge, Avery & Trabue Parks.  The Scioto River was high & fast enough that the reservoir was mostly un-frozen, but much of the area below the dam was flooded, forcing most waterfowl further downstream.  Notables included:

Geese - flocks along both the Scioto and at Corazon Lake out near Glacier Ridge; all Canadas
Diving Ducks - a big flock was stranded at Corazon Lake, including 110 Redhead, 2 Ring-necks, and 1 Lesser Scaup
Great Blue Herons - 10+ were roosting on a small island of dry land in the torrent below the O'Shaughnessy Dam.
Hawks - Red-tailed in many locations, but nothing else, even at Glacier Ridge
Woodpeckers - surprising #s of Red-bellies and Downies at Twin Lakes and Glacier Ridge, even in the blowing snow.
Sapsuckers - single adults were at Frink Park (O'Shaughnessy Dam) and Avery Park
Brown Creepers - 1-2 at both Glacier Ridge and Trabue Preserve
American Robins - very scarce, with the only big flock being 25 at Avery Park
E.Bluebirds - small flocks at Frink Park (4), Glacier Ridge (5), and Trabue Preserve (7)
Tree Sparrows - small #s at nearly every stop, the only common sparrow.  The Glacier Ridge feeder had 15.