From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:29:30 -0400
A strong south wind has been blowing here in the Magee Marsh area today that has made birding a little challenging but also very productive!  A quick shorebird survey at the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Boss Unit (the wetlands along Benton-Carroll Road) around 1:00 PM produced the following shorebirds: 2 Killdeer, 13 American Golden Plovers, 5 Greater Yellowlegs, 37 Lesser Yellowlegs, 82 Pectoral Sandpipers, 10 Dunlin, and 5 Wilson's Snipe.

Although I have not had time to get up to the Hawk Tower at Magee Marsh today, reports have trickled in saying there has been a good hawk flight if you can stand the wind. Broad-winged Hawks are making a really big push through the area, and a fairly constant stream of them were going over as we surveyed the Boss Unit.

Warblers are really starting to show up as well, and during my survey around BSBO this morning I had several Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Pine, and a Palm Warbler along the Gallagher Memorial Trail.  Also something of note on the survey was my first Chimney Swift and a huge increase in both White-throated Sparrow and Brown Thrashers.  Blue Jays made their first push into the area as well and many have been around the BSBO feeders.  Six male Purple Finches at the feeders were another great surprise!

Several people have stopped in and given us reports of what is being seen on the boardwalk and highlights have included Prairie and Black-throated Green Warblers as well as a Wood Thrush.

Although the birding has been pretty good today, the front coming in tonight could certainly bring in even more birds!  There are a ton of great migrants around and it should only get better from here on out!  If you have a free day to do a little birding in the area it should be well worth your trip!  If you want to know what to expect when you visit, Kenn Kaufman, Mark Shieldcastle, and I will be updating Kenn's birding blog with predictions throughout the spring.  This blog can be found here: http://www.bsbo.org/birding/

Finally, please be advised that there is a road closure and detour on State Route 2 between the city of Oregon, Ohio and Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge. Please do NOT follow the official detour posted for this road closure as it will take you several miles out of the way. Please follow THIS map and directions that take you down safe, local roads around the road closure and save you many miles and many minutes. Access is open to all birding areas, including Metzger Marsh, but you will need to follow these directions to navigate your way around the road closure. Direction and a map of the alternate detour are posted on the main message board on the Biggest Week In American Birding website, here: www.bwiab.com

Ryan Steiner
Research & Education Intern
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070
www.bsbobird.org

Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

BSBO is proud to sponsor BIRDING OHIO on Facebook