From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2013 07:31:14 -0700
I'm rescinding my red-eyed vireo report and relegating it t
Dear Ohio,

I'm rescinding my red-eyed vireo report and relegating it to vireo sp. in e-bird. This is due to only hearing it once. I was hasty in my ID of red-eyed. Usually during spring migration I bird under the assumption that all similar sounding vireos are red-eyes until proven otherwise. In the past I've been able to correctly ID blue-headed and Philadelphia songs by tracking down the birds and getting visuals on them. However, the vireo I heard yesterday only sang once and the flag by e-bird should have been an alert to me that something was amiss in my report. I guess I thought that an early red-eyed vireo would not be entirely out of the question. During the height of spring migration, the laws of probability would indicate that most of the vireos heard in southwest Ohio are red-eyeds. But this is not the height of spring migration. This is early to mid-April, a time when vesper sparrows and ruby-crowned kinglets are more likely to be found but more
 difficult if not impossible to get on the bird-a-thon in the second weekend of May. It is also a time when blue-headed vireos are coming through and, as I've now realized, red-eyeds have not yet arrived.

Lesson learned.

Thanks,

David

David A. Brinkman