From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2013 11:52:44 -0700

I will not be addressing all the issues raised in the post below,
rather focusing on the bird depicted in the linked image below.

http://ruhikant.smugmug.com/Birds/Spring-2013/28947899_bqnHq9#!i=2487927209&k=XHTbRDx&lb=1&s=O

Photos of this bird were first made available to the public by Leslie Houser
29 April through this eBird checklist
https://ebird.org/admin/reviewSub.htm?subID=S13931328
.
First to answer Ned's question about a photo of a bird known
to be a hybrid based on DNA or a banded as a chick? I do not
have that information. How often do we have that kind
of imagery of any putative hybrid? Certainly none exists of the
WEKI/COKI/Scissor-tailed Flycatcher from last fall near Sandusky
... yet I don't think anyone disputes that it was a hybrid.

And so I must ask why is that necessary?

When an American Black Duck sports a green sheen in the
head, a character not associated with that species but one
found in other species including Mallard, are we more comfortable
identifying the bird as a hybrid, or do we keep calling it an
American Black Duck. When we identify Brewster's and Lawrence's
Warblers, we do not do so as a consequence of some
 genetic assay, but because the observed phenotype exhibits
a mix of characters we associate with two different species. And so,
we tend to use the caveat "apparent hybrid" only in some pairings so
familiar to us as these, we drop the phrase from usage.

Let us take a critical look at the bird in question.

What are definitive characters for White-faced Ibis.

 I think we can agree that in breeding plumage, a white border of
FEATHERING around the bare skin of the face is good for White-faced
Ibis, and that is not an expected character of Glossy Ibis.

This bird exhibits the white feathering so not a Glossy Ibis (contrary to
one eBird report).

In a breeding adult Glossy, we do see a chalky blue edging of the
olive facial skin sharply demarcated and reaching the eye but not
wrapping around it. In a White-faced Ibis, of similar condition as exhibits
the white feathering,  the facial skin is wholly reddish in color perhaps
fading slightly to pink at the edges in 'dull' birds.

But the bird in question clearly exhibits an olive patch of facial skin
suffused  with plum. We also see a  sharpy mark border of pale facial
color, not blue but  something intermediate ... mauve perhaps.
Regardless  of the color, regardless of any subjective arguments over
'intermediate' color  including that of the eye, the presence of Glossy
Ibis facial PATTERN  should be enough to eliminate White-faced Ibis
from consideration. I will  also note that both written descriptions and
of what we see in the image  of the legs can be said the "knees" are
with much of the tarsi olive ...  not consistent with White-faced Ibis.

On the matter of frequency, I should hope Ohio birders could become
more familiar with the ABA publication "North American Birds" for
information outside of the immediate  region. Hybridization has been
underway for more than a decade at Salt Plains N.W.R.* There is a 2003
article cited below. The research did not end there. In the past few
seasons about 80 blood samples for DNA have been obtained at Salt
Plains  and similar work on the Gulf Coast (where these intermediate
birds have been seen)  are slated in the near future.

* [I cannot speak directly to the question of frequency but will pass
along that the Refuge biologist at Salt plains has reported 50 hybrids
in a single day. If you still wish to treat these as representatives of
mere variation, then
you must answer the question why so much variation at this breeding
site where Glossy Ibis are seen annually within the colony, but this level
of variation is infrequent to non existent elsewhere.]

Oklahoma is a hotbed for variation. Here is a photo essay based on
a SINGLE day's photo shoot among a flock of 400 ibis in southwest
Oklahoma (a wetland just an hr from Lawton).

http://www.pbase.com/joe_grzybowski/ibis_heads

You will find Glossies, White-faced Ibis (which do exhibit substantial
variation), and presumed hybrids. Again, we presume them to be
hybrids, in the same vein as Blue-winged X Golden-winged hybrids,
because these individuals exhibit a mix of characters which should
be exclusive to the parentals.

It was using this experience, I addressed the particularly
difficult situation presented by 7 dark ibis at Ottawa N.W.R. last May.
Several hundred people observed these birds and about 80 reported
them to eBird. I received every conceivable combination of Glossy
and White-faced Ibis including a report of one as a hybrid (from a
very experienced observer). I spent months last fall gathering
what I could and going over photos, before concluding there were 3
Glossy Ibis and 4 White-faced Ibis. One aberrant WFIB, with
excessive white feathering, fell within the known variation (as
 supported by two fellow members of the Oklahoma Bird Records
Committee) and exhibited no Glossy characters.

It is with this same experience of 8 years on the OKBRC, and
with the further support of Dr. Joe Grzybowski and Jim Arteburn
(authors of that 2003 paper), that I published Ohio's first documented
hybrid dark ibis in North American Birds. But by all means judge the
photo by Tom Bartlett for yourselves. You will find it in full color on
page 711 of Vol 65. No.4. The Nesting Season. 2011.

Should the OH BRC come to a different conclusion on any of these
birds, the entries in eBird will be adjusted accordingly as it is the
stipulated policy of eBird to do so, contrary to what you may have
read elsewhere.

However, as my name appears on the seasonal review I write for
North American Birds, I solely report my own conclusions in that
space, and I stand by all of the above identifications.

PLEASE direct all communications to [log in to unmask]
I do not monitor the oh-birds email address. I do read postings to
the listserv through the ABA website http://birding.aba.org/maillist/OH

cheers

Vic Fazio
18722 Newell Rd., Shaker Hts, OH 44122
401, SW F Ave., Rm 509, Lawton, OK 73501 (current thru Aug)
Regional Editor, North American Bird, OH-WV 2004-2013
State eBird Reviewer, OH 2005-2013; OK 2008-2013
Oklahoma Bird Records Committee, 2006-2013