Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 20:45:17 -0400
Today, Thursday, May 9, 2013, Dan Hall and I headed toBlackhand Gorge State Nature Preserve in Licking County. The day was a mixedbag. From the moment we arrived the air was filled with the sounds of singingbirds. The problem was that many of them were apparently shy.

We began our birding on the Marie Hickey Trail. The firstbird we logged in was a cooperative White-eyed Vireo. As it turned out it wasone of a multitude of White-eyed Vireos as we saw and heard them everywhere allday. That’s okay as I like White-eyed Vireos. They are often elusive but nottoday. Then I heard a singing Blue-winged Warbler. It circled around us andsang its buzzy beeebuzz song but stayed in the foliage not to be seen. Severalof its friends joined the teasing. I only got a decent look at one of them andthen only for a brief moment. It was going to be one of those days. We had greatlooks at some species and frustration by others. During the circuit of thetrail we located some nice birds including Black Vulture, Red eyed Vireo, MarshWren, Brown Thrasher, Tennessee Warbler, Nashville Warbler,  Black-throated Green Warbler, Prairie Warblers(many more heard than seen), Louisiana Water Thrush, Orchard Oriole andBaltimore Orioles. We heard Yellow Warblers but they were as bad as the earlierBlue-winged Warblers and a few Yellow-breasted Chats were calling but the bestwe did was a distant look at one.

In the early afternoon we crossed the river and walkedthe Quarry Rim Trail. Once again it was a hit and miss experience. The mostcommon bird between the Quarry Rim Trail and the Blackhand Trail was a bit of asurprise, Cerulean Warblers. It was a scavenger hunt to find the first Ceruleanbut after we got a good look the rest of them began popping up everywhere.Other warblers along this part of the trails were Northern Parula,Black-throated Green Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler and two Pine Warblers.However, the Hooded Warblers were as bad as the Blue-winged earlier. Many werecalling but none cooperating. Usually this is an easy species for me to find atBlackhand Gorge, but not today. We never had one show for us. Other speciesobserved on the trail were a Red-shouldered Hawk, Yellow-throated Vireo,White-eyed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Ruby-crowned Kinglet andBaltimore Oriole.

We finished the day at Blendon Woods where we walked theLake Trail and the Ripple Rock Trail. On the Lake Trail we picked up aRuby-throated Hummingbird, Eastern Kingbird, Swainson’s Thrush, CommonYellowthroat and Summer Tanager. There were Wood Ducks at the lake. As westarted for the Ripple Rock Trail we spotted two Tom Turkeys walking on thetrail, unbothered by the woman trying to get past them. On the trail Danspotted a Barred Owl with prey in its beak. The owl sat there watching us butnot moving from its perch. We assumed the owlets must not be far away.

Activity was slower than it had been over the past weekbut I have a feeling more good waves of activity are ahead. Now for some decentsoutherly winds.

Charlie Bombaci for Dan Hall and myself