OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
Jeff Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2013 10:57:47 -0700
This morning from 7:00 to 9:15 am, Bob Krajeski, Buster Banish and I waited for the shorebirds to appear. 3 Short billed Dowitchers made a typical Conneaut 2 minute stopover and then continued on. The only other shorebirds were 5 Killdeer.  Bald Eagles continued to entertain us during the slow birding times with 19 eagles perching along the breakwalls. One eagle did demonstrate its ability to catch fish and then devoured its catch within easy viewing. We were pleased to see a female Common Merg with 4 large babies. They were sitting on the first breakwall as you enter the sandspit. The only other birds of note were Caspian Tern and an Osprey.

The weather was delightful and the locals didn't appear during my time at the sandspit.  Also, a Coast Guard helicopter made a few passes overhead.

Jeff Harvey
Mahoning County