OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:11:30 -0400
Hi,

Okay so House Finches show a high degree of variation in morphology.  From
my observation size, shape and plumage can be highly variable. In 1964 B.P
"Pat" Bole found Ohio's first House Finches here in Kirtland, so separating
House Finch from Purple Finch is something I have been doing most of my
life, as both nest here.

But I have to say this is becoming increasingly difficult, as I am seeing
more and more males who show characteristics of both species.  If not for
the curved culmen on some of the more colorful, less streaky, individuals I
would think I was looking at a Cassin's finch or Purple Finch.  The flanks
are often colored and nearly lacking in streaks or have very very fine
almost non existent streaking if the flanks are uncolored.  Also the color
of these individuals is not the magenta of a Purple Finch tending to be
lighter and less magenta.  I'm also noticing that some streak flanked
individuals are showing a straighter culmen than I expect.  Thus far I have
not noticed a female showing any hint of a supercillium.

Given proximity and similarity I wonder how much hybridization is going on?

For those who live in the NE quadrant of Ohio, where both Purple Finch and
House Finch are nesting species, I would urge you to pay more attention the
the variation in House Finches.  Photographing extreme individuals might be
interesting as well.

Haans