OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2014 23:05:32 -0400
After finding very little activity at "The Conneaut Sandspit" this morning, Sunday July 6th, fellow Mahoning County birder Jeff Harvey, suggested we visit a new birding area for both of us. The Thompson Ledges Township Park in extreme northeast Geauga County was the location. We explored the 60+ acre site from about 10:15AM to about 12:15PM. What a pleasant surprise. The conglomerate ledges provided Dark-eyed Juncos at five locations. One territorial male circled us to within ten feet, constantly kicking its head back and singing. We later found a female with food, allowing us to view her at the nest. A family of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, including at least three juveniles, was a thrill to find. They were flying back and forth, constantly vocalizing, sometimes tapping on a Tulip Poplar tree. On our way back to Jeff's SUV, a junco was on the gravel path at the restroom. We could have seen an Ohio July Dark-eyed Junco without leaving the vehicle. Pretty wild. Some of the other birds we recorded were numerous singing Hooded Warblers, singing Yellow-throated Vireos, and Scarlet Tanagers, just to name few. The plant life at the park is also worth checking out, with Indian Pipe and Wintergreen easily found. The carpet of moss on the rock surface is an unbelievable sight. This township park is something else, a must see. To explore the lower face of the ledges, walk back down the entrance drive and go right down the road to the trail to the right at the bottom of the ledges, and start your adventure. Today Dark-eyed Juncos were vocal everywhere. A trail in the upper woods from the parking lot, is also worth checking out. To reach the park, go east from SR528 on Thompson Road in the village of Thompson. This place is a hidden gem.

Bob Lane