OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2014 17:21:39 -0400
I just wanted to say a big thank you to Bob and Denise Lane for their company today at the Conneaut Sand Spit.  Sandra Griffiths and I set out to pick up some 2014 new birds and potential life birds when we decided to head to Conneaut.  When we arrived this morning, Bob and Denise were on site with Jeff Harvey and another gentleman named Bob….sorry for forgetting the last name.  Anyway, we were immediately treated with the presence of 8 Short-billed Dowitcher, a Lesser Yellowlegs and several Least Sandpiper and 30+ bald eagles in various stages of development.

We hung around for several hours and decided to head West to check some other potential shore habitat.  As we were driving away, Bob Lane was kind enough to chase us down in his car to let us know that a group of 13 American Avocet in breeding plumage had just landed along with a Willet.  Thanks…thanks….thanks!!!  2 life birds for me in the Dowitcher and Avocet and a lifer for Sandra in the Willet.

Bob and Denise were also kind enough to show us around the possible birding spots in Conneaut and then join us for lunch.  It was great to get know them better and it was a joy to spend time with them seeing these great birds.

Time and time again my faith in humanity is restored by my experiences with folks out in nature and the birders I have come to know.

Here is a link to a shot of the group of Avocet and the Willet.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/joncefus/media/AmericanAvocetandWilletConneautSandSpit7-13-14_zps39dc7a78.jpg.html

Happy birding…

Jon Cefus

“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.”
-Douglas Adams