OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:55:13 -0400
Thanks once again to Alice Van Zoeren, of The Great Lakes Piping Plover Banding Program ([log in to unmask]), for providing the origin of the plover found by Chris Swan yesterday, Wednesday July 23, at The Conneaut Sandspit in Ashtabula County on the shore of Lake Erie. Alice has identified the origins of three Piping Plovers found at Conneaut in recent years, for me. The celebrity visitor was hatched in 2013 at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in northwestern Michigan, on the northeast shore of Lake Michigan. The 2013-2014 wintering location is unknown. He returned this summer to breed at Christmas Cove near Northport, Michigan, twenty-eight miles northeast of where he was hatched. Alice informed me her team has been looking for him since his chicks disappeared before fledging, and they were trying to find out whether he had moved them to a new location. Apparently not. Sad that his chicks didn't make it, but good to have the mystery solved. Hopefully he returns to the Michigan shore in 2015 for another spring nesting season. It would be nice to know where his winter destination is. Our little second year plover, headed out alone, traveling 330 miles southeast across Michigan and Ontario to the south shore of Lake Erie. Thanks to our wandering cutie for giving us the opportunity to spend a wonderful day appreciating him. With a restful stopover in Conneaut, he can now continue his journey.

Bob Lane