OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:19:09 -0400
Yesterday, Sunday October 12th, fourteen participants helped to tally a remarkable 82 species, a new record for us in our six year history. The previous one day Big Sit high count for the eastern Mahoning County observation platform was 77, in 2012. The Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary is a 270 acre site on a previous fish farm. Thirteen hours of birding took place from midnight to 1:30AM, and from 5:30AM to 5PM, a total of thirteen hours. Full timers were Jeff Harvey, Ben Morrison, Denise Lane, and myself. A surprise visit from Geauga County birders Dick Hoopes and Kelly Kozlowski was a special treat. A special thanks to Kirsten Peetz, Natural Resources Manager of Mill Creek Metro Parks, for her support, for providing a port-a-john, and making an appearance. Also a thanks goes out to Bill Jones for his tireless volunteer time maintaining the water levels of the numerous impoundments. From frosty morning to sunny afternoon, some of the highlights were: thirteen species of waterfowl; Black-crowned Night-Herons and a Sora; ten species of raptors including Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, and Northern Harrier; ten species of shorebirds including Stilt Sandpiper, American Woodcock, and Wilson's Snipe; and unfortunately our only owl was a Barred. A sampling of the songbirds was Pine Siskins, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Nashville Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Rusty Blackbirds, and Lincoln's Sparrow. After exceeding our past best, we decided if we reached 80 species we would call it a day. Just before 5:00 PM, a not to be forgotten birding moment happened within a thirty second span; Ben spotted an American Black Duck flying in making number 80, Denise spotted three Wilson's Snipe flying in making number 81, and Jeff spotted an American Kestrel landing in what we call The Merlin Tree, making number 82. What a finish to a memorable day. 82 species sets the bar high, and makes it a lofty goal to reach, on future Big Sits. Can't wait for the 2015 Big Sit!

Bob Lane / 2014 Big Sit Team Captain