OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:19:02 -0700
I went to Villa Angela/Wildwood Park (Euclid Creek Reserv) on the east side of Cleveland at the end of yesterday and today.  Today was very unimpressive more so than yesterday and I was there from 1 to 4pm.  As I was going back to my car parked near Lakeshore Blvd I was in Villa Angela near the entrance to the park and decided one last try to go look near Euclid Creek so I crossed the road into Wildwood and immediately noticed three small finches flying from the trees along the creek.  They disappeared as the pine trees down from the parking lot blocked my view.  As I walked a little I noticed there was one leafless deciduous tree between and down from the multiple pine trees near the parking lot that had a female Purple Finch in the top of it.  I don't know if this was one of the three that I never did see very well - but it stayed around for seven minutes and had no friends at that point.  It did not have a melodius call.  It had a short "Cherie or
 cherio" call then a quick sqeak of a pik sound and it made these sounds repeatedly.  Then it flew to a tree closer to the creek for a minute then flew south.  I don't normally see Purple Finches at this park.

Also, I could not find any scoters at Sims Park today but many many more Horned Grebes (at least 180) and at least two Common Loons.  They seemed to be feeding in schools of fish mixed in with a few Red-breasted Mergansers and many Bonaparte's Gulls feeding in the frenzy.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/