OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 08:57:47 -0500
Hi,

There is always danger in lumping and splitting people into categories.
Labeling is a difficult thing that can lead to misunderstanding.

Nature and wildlife photographers and birders and bird watchers run the
full gamut of behavior and respect for the subject of their interest, so
broad generalizations about any group is not a very good thing to do.
Rather than lumping we should be doing more splitting when it comes to
complaining about behavior.

Most important, if you see bad behavior that is disruptive have the courage
to say something then and there to the people doing it, regardless of their
primary activity.

Of course there is a considerable range in what is considered bad behavior
and often there are multiple standards depending on how "special" the
species is considered to be.
That said, I hope we can all agree that chasing a bird until it repeatedly
flushes to get a better look, or photo, is something that might prevent
others from enjoying the bird and should be a good reason for intervention
on behalf of those who will come later.

Haans