OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:54:41 -0400
Greetings!

The Western is still here.  Though everything was scattered by not 1, but 2
Peregrin Falcons.

I coasted my kayak to the south side of the "island" on the western side of
the middle pond.  Parked about 20 feet out, and just waited.  Soon I had 10
Dunlin, 6 Dowitchers, 2 Stilt Sandpipers, 10 White-rumped Sandpipers, a few
Leasts, and the Western all within 20 feet of me.

I filled up two cards, and was about ready to leave when everything
flushed!  I hadn't done anything...then I saw why they flushed.  A Peregrin
swooped down and out right in front of me.  So close I could hear it's
wings snap.  Then a few seconds later, another flew overhead...and off they
flew, chasing the shorebirds all around the pond.

For those that come up, dont forget your scope.  Unless the bird is up
front, it will be hard to spot otherwise.  It is also very windy...I had to
give up paddling, and hiked the last few hundred yards with my kayak in tow.

Other birds of note:

6 Eagles (4 adult), 8 Turkey Vultures, 1 Northern Harrier (female), about
1000 Tree Swallows filled the sky as well.

Happy Birding and God Bless,

Steve J.