OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2016

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2016 15:02:25 -0400
Hi,

My observation agrees with what Bob pointed out.  Fifteen or more years ago
those interested in birds and birding were often less inclined to the
sport, that was secondary.  Back then you would find good numbers of people
with a broad ranging interest in conservation and environmentalism as
well.  Today birding has become like any other sort of collecting. The
list, the precious photo, are paramount. It is also big business. It often
seems there is a complete disconnect between birding and the larger
environment.  When such a connection is made it seems to be more for social
or selfish reasons than a deep rooted commitment to environmentalism and
therefore superficial.  Lots of talk very little concrete and demonstrable
action.  So it is no wonder people want sighting reports and less talk
about birds and the environment as this may result in uncomfortable
cognitive dissonance.

:-)

Haans