From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 17:47:54 -0400
Hi everyone,

With all the more exotic and dramatic sightings recently, White-throtaed Sparrows might seem a little, well..tame. But the truth is that for last two or three years we have seen very few of these lovely birds, which used to be regular visitors during migration and through the winter. other borders had also reported missing them, or having very few, at feeders and in the local parks and birding spots.

So we were very happy, after arriving from out of town Sunday evening, to have had them singing on the block all week, and in numbers more like what we used to have—as many as eight at a time under the feeders, competing with House Sparrows and a true bumper crop of chipmunks for seed. There are always a few at the feeders or in the back yard. We’re hearing both full songs by adults and those half-done songs by new singers…

About half the WTSPs are the black-and-white striped head flavor, the rest the brown-striped head.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights
Cuyahoga County