From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2016 17:17:25 +0000
Lake Erie Bluffs was alive with birds this morning.  The trees along the north side of the Lane Road loop trail were just loaded.  Each tree seemed to have 10-20 birds in it.   I ended up with 22 species of warblers including 2 orange-crowned, Kentucky, prairie, and chat.  There was probably more that I missed.

  By 9:00 the numbers of birds dropped dramatically as most headed east along the lake shore.  There were a lot of blue jays, kingbirds, and other songbirds flying east overhead.  It was the best day I have had this spring.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
May 12, 2016 6:50 AM - 10:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     there was a large fallout of birds early in the morning along the lakeshore.  the birds slowly headed east along the lake.
104 species

Canada Goose  3
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  2
Red-breasted Merganser  7
Wild Turkey  1
Common Loon  1
Double-crested Cormorant  7
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  132     Turkey vultures were migrating with kettles noted of 20 and 30+ birds.
Sharp-shinned Hawk  4
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Ring-billed Gull  266
Herring Gull  34
Caspian Tern  1
Common Tern  11
Forster's Tern  3
Mourning Dove  18
Chimney Swift  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  12
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Willow Flycatcher  1
Least Flycatcher  6
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Eastern Kingbird  28
White-eyed Vireo  1
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  16
Red-eyed Vireo  11
Blue Jay  1884     Constant large flocks of blue jays were migrating east.
American Crow  4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  85
Purple Martin  3
Tree Swallow  17
Bank Swallow  320
Barn Swallow  11
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  12
Carolina Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
Eastern Bluebird  2
Veery  8
Gray-cheeked Thrush  1
Swainson's Thrush  9
Hermit Thrush  1
Wood Thrush  8
American Robin  26
Gray Catbird  94     Catbirds were everywhere in the brushy habitat.
Brown Thrasher  3
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  67
Ovenbird  1
Northern Waterthrush  1
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  1
Orange-crowned Warbler  2
Nashville Warbler  8
Kentucky Warbler  1     The Kentucky was along the Lane Road trail near the trail that heads down to the beach.
Common Yellowthroat  54
American Redstart  9
Cape May Warbler  6
Northern Parula  1
Blackburnian Warbler  3
Yellow Warbler  148
Chestnut-sided Warbler  3
Black-throated Blue Warbler  2
Palm Warbler  67     Other than yellow warblers, palm warblers were the most numerous warbler.  They were everywhere
Yellow-rumped Warbler  26
Prairie Warbler  1     The prairie warbler was a little east of the overlook in the northwest corner of the Lane Road trail.
Black-throated Green Warbler  4
Canada Warbler  1
Yellow-breasted Chat  1     The chat was along the trees along the lake.  None were found where they usually breed
Chipping Sparrow  7
Field Sparrow  3
White-crowned Sparrow  74
White-throated Sparrow  24