OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2016 12:56:00 -0500
I stopped at a series of parks along the Scioto River south of downtown Columbus this morning, and found a few interesting migrants.  I visited Scioto Audubon, Berliner Park, the Impound Lot Road, and Scioto Grove MetroPark, and there were still some migrants despite the nice weather.  Notables included:

Great Egrets - 5 were still in the bay at Scioto Audubon
Cormorants - 14 were above the Greenlawn Dam
Other Waterfowl - not much, but Scioto Audubon had 5 Hooded Mergansers
Raptors - surprisingly light, with only a few Red-tails (Berliner & Scioto Grove)
Woodpeckers - Downies were abundant in the riparian woods at most sites, but other species were present in low #s
BrownCreepers - in the optimal riparian woods here, Berliner had 4 and Scioto Grove had 5
Kinglets - Golden-crowns at most locations, while Berliner also had a late-ish Ruby-crown
Robins - flocks at most locations, but only Scioto Audubon had more than 50 birds
CommonYellowthroat - a juvenile was with sparrows in the phragmites marsh along the north side of Impound Road (south of St.104).  The big phragmites marsh on the south side of this road has been filled in.
Sparrows - lots of Songs and White-throateds in many places, but the Impound Lot Rd and Scioto Grove had Swamp Sparrows.
Blackbirds - small flocks of Redwings were at many locations; Scioto Audubon had the most, with 50+.