OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2016

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2016 15:16:17 +0000
I spent a couple hours at Lake Erie Bluffs, lane Road side watching the lake this morning.  I watched from 7:15-9:15.   There were scattered flocks of waterfowl with a lot more variety over yesterday.  Today there were a few dabbling ducks and swans.  Of note were 2 harlequin ducks (unknown age/sex) that flew by around 8:15 heading west and 1 black and 4 surf scoters.  There were quite a few gulls moving with the usual numbers of large gulls headed toward the landfill.  There were quite a few Bonaparte's gulls moving also.  About 90% were heading east with the remainder heading west.  Also of note were two different red-throated loons seen flying west.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
Nov 21, 2016 7:15 AM - 9:20 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Conducted a lakewatch
20 species (+1 other taxa)

Tundra Swan  46
Gadwall  5
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  16
Green-winged Teal  1
Redhead  11
Greater/Lesser Scaup  14
Harlequin Duck  1     Two harlequin ducks (unknown age/sex) flew by headed west.  Both were small compact dark-winged ducks with white facial spotting.  Fairly rapid wingbeat compared with similar appearing scoters when in flight.
Surf Scoter  4
Black Scoter  1
Hooded Merganser  53
Common Merganser  1
Red-breasted Merganser  1012
Red-throated Loon  2     Single birds were observed flying west low over the water.  Small slender loon with distinctive down-turned wingbeat and drooping neck in flight.
Common Loon  29
Horned Grebe  3
Bald Eagle  2
Bonaparte's Gull  830