OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:49:56 -0500
Hello!

I made a quick trip to Jefferson Co. this afternoon to take a shot at seeing the Common Ravens that are seen behind the Walmart distribution center on SR 43 a bit SE of Richmond and NW of Steubenville.  I wasn’t disappointed as I made my way up Pleasant Hill Rd. I immediately saw one on the side of the road working on some kind of carcass.  I got a few pictures of it, then a second bird flew up and made several calls and pops, circled my car a couple times and they both flew off toward the west (across 43, perhaps?).  I may have disturbed their afternoon snack and the calls and pops was a scolding.  This is by far the best look I have had yet at a Raven.

I have also noted on my past 2 times driving through Amsterdam at the Jefferson/Carroll Co. line (SR 43 and SR 164 intersection) that there are a lot of vultures in that area roosting.  I had at least 75 TUVU and 30 BLVU either roosting a several spots or up flying in just about 15 minutes.   As a historical aside, Amsterdam was the home of one of Ohio’s published birders and Amazon explorer Forest Buchanan.  His work in Jefferson and Carroll Counties is pretty much all we have other than the recent Breeding Bird Atlas surveys.

Happy birding!

Jon Cefus
Carroll Co.