OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 02:40:35 +0000
 I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood Parks on the east side of Cleveland yesterday and today (1/22).  These parks are now part of "Euclid Creek Reservation".
Yesterday I was there at 11am in the morning but I did not find that many land birds.  Today I was there from 12:50pm til 2:50 but it was much birdier in Villa Angela around 1:30pm north of silver maple woods close to mobile home park under the tall red pine trees.  It seemed like they knew it was going to rain.  I found the Red-breasted Nuthatch both days, the Brown Creeper I saw today in two places (I had not seen since 1/2/17).  I first saw it from the road near the green metal fence near the recycyling area of the library and then in the woods with the other group of birds including two Carolina Wrens first seen climbing around a London plane tree.
I only spent a short time walking down Euclid Creek but as I was walking  back across the road to Villa Angela near the recycling area green fence I could hear a lot of crows calling in Villa Angela.  I happened to look up at the few trees that stick up from the library which usually has a starling or crow in it and I saw a Merlin around 2:20pm.  A few minutes later three Crows flew in from the west and landed where the Merlin was so the Merlin flew off south.  When I was driving out of the park at 2:50pm I looked up and the Merlin had returned to the same tree above the library.  I have never seen it in that tree before.  Sometime at the end of 2015 I used to see it in the tall tree just past the white bridge over the creek after 4pm on numerous days for a few weeks.
As for Wildwood I only saw approx 14 Juncos today, and yesterday the Northern Mockingbird and two White-throated sparrows.  Did not see any ducks today except some RB Mergansers flying west.
At Sims Park today around 11:3am I saw 70 Common Goldeneye and three Bufflehead and only a few hundred Red-breasted Mergansers, and four A. Tree Sparrows.
Nancy Anderson, Richmond Hts,https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/