OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:55:35 -0500
A friend of mine and I made the drive from Wooster to the Lakefront in
Cleveland with the warmer temperatures today. We stopped first at Scranton
park along the Cuyahoga River several bends upstream from the mouth along
Scranton Rd. The whole area is under road construction so it is difficult
to access right now. You must approach from the south (I-71 to 14th st,
north to Kenilworth, left to Scranton, then north through construction
area. Park in lot at Scranton and Carter Rd). At the old fire station at
that corner, looking from the grass along the river below the old bridge,
there were *seven black-crowned night herons *perched in the brush across
the river. In the river were 30-40 ducks that included *two surf scoters*.
Also, canvasbacks, lesser scaup, ruddy ducks, mallards, redheads.

Wendy park had mostly gulls. From Coast Guard station at mouth of Cuyahoga,
found *one lesser black-backed gull* on floating ice with lots of
ring-billeds. Few greater black backed, but no Bonapartes. Also stopped at
Bradstreet Station on Rt west of Rocky River and the *Ross' goose* was
there at 3pm, swimming with group of Canada geese, but quite a ways off.
Picked up several good birds for 2017.  Randy Rowe,  Wooster