From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2017 22:53:50 -0400
The prize bird today was the cooperative Lawrence's Warbler at Letha House Park--many thx to the birders who posted their sightings of this gem. I have not seen this bird for many years & I think only once in the highlands of NJ when I was a beginner birder so it was wonderful to see it again & well. Great to hear it sing also--distinctly different from a Blue-winged but with the same quality. It would be quite vocal for a spell while it gleaned & showed well, then it would be quiet & move a ways into the woods. In about 15 mins or so I would hear it again & it would move back out to the edges.

When I first saw it, I had come in from the horse trail parking lot (across from the main parking lot) and was standing near the nature trail sign when I saw a bird bomb across the field and I thought "oh that can't possibly be the bird" but it was! It perched right in front of me, singing and showing off. Then it flew across the grassy nature trail and fed actively along the wooded edges by the junction of the nature & Paw Paw trails. Too bad it doesn't have species status but it's one heck of a cool hybrid!

Yellows & YTs abundant. Heard a Black-thr Blue. Field Sparrows, House Wrens. Heard baby birds begging from a nest hole & could just make out a likely Downy WP family--cute.

I flicked one tick off my pants when I got back to the car...

Tinker Crk Preserve was a new park also (birded there first actually). Pretty quiet but a nice walk. Couple of YB Cuckoos calling. Pine Warbler, RB Grosbeaks, Baltimore Oriole, Willow & Alder FCs, E Peewee, E Kingbird, Wood Duck.

Peggy Wang
Hudson

Sent from my iPad