OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2017 17:20:52 -0400
Hi,

Kirtland has a lot of habitat that very much resembles that of western
Pennsylvania.  Old growth forests, covering hills and ravines. Still I was
surprised when I had an adult Northern Goshawk fly right in front of my
car, driving on the 306 just south of Gildersleeve Mountain, toward
Chester.  Adults are unmistakable with their dark gray upper parts and
light gray underparts.  (I saw the wing linings and breast)  I have always
been struck by how fast and powerful a Goshawk is in flight. In fact I
would say they are about the fastest thing I have seen in level flight, and
that is especially impressive going through the deep woods.  This is not
the first time I've seen Goshawk in the summer in Kirtland. eSteve Cagan
and I had one in Stebbin's Gulch in June 2004, and there was another at
Holden in late June 2015. They are well known nesters in Warren Co.
Pennsylvania which is just 100 miles east, and I have long suspected there
may be a nesting in this area as the habitat is very much the same.

As if that was not enough, this morning my friend Frank Buck had
White-winged Crossbills in his yard which in the area just north of
Penitentiary Glen.  Said he heard them first, then spotted them.  Again not
unprecedented to have Crossbills in northern Ohio in the summertime, but
certainly noteworthy.

Haans

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>