From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2018 18:01:02 -0400
I explored a couple new areas for me today. Despite a late start, I had a few good birds.

Willow FCs were singing and one perched up for a great view. Field Sparrows also singing. Just one Baltimore Oriole. Single Great Blue & Green Herons. A Brown Thrasher flew across the road just before the turn into the park. N Mockingbird. Wood Thrush singing. Purple Martins at the gourd house.

Only warblers were Yellow, Com YT and a skulky waterthrush that I believe was a Northern—very yellow with strong streaking, tail bobbing up & down. It stayed low except to perch up briefly on a low branch. Near the wooded small stream at the back of the park. Only uttered one chip note before vanishing.

Several birders were searching w/o success for the W Kingbird at the OSU Airport/livestock area. No one I spoke to reported it had been seen today. Only saw a couple E Kingbirds with which the Western had reportedly been associating. Consolation prizes were Bobolink, Dickcissel and Upland Sandpiper. The male Bobolink sang as it flew for some distance to land on the airport fence by the road where it perched and continued to sing and preen for several minutes. Lovely views. A couple E Bluebirds.

Saw & heard Grasshopper and Savannah Sparrows. I also saw a Great Egret on a pond on the airport property.

Peggy Wang
Zanesville
Sent from my iPad