From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2018 23:19:59 +0000
 Shaune and I launched the H.M.S. Hoover today and monitored a few areas at the north end of Hoover Reservoir. We concentrated on the Big Walnut Creek and Little Walnut Creek corridors. A main goal was to check on my nest boxes and see how the Prothonotary Warblers are fairing. We located 21 Protonotaries alone Big Walnut Creek, 20 males and 1 female. At Little Walnut Creek we were up to 7 male Prothonotaries when we encountered a snag. A tree had fallen across the creek and there was no way we were going to get pass it. We could hear more males singing ahead of us. They will have to wait until I walk the land access around the fallen tree. The numbers are looking good as we found a good dispersal between nest boxes and natural cavities. We also noted 11 Prothonotaries that had been banded over the last few years as part of a study by Professor Christopher Tonra and students from The Ohio State University.
A great surprise was a Brown Creeper nest site we located. We watched as both adults frantically made trips bringing food to the nest site. The nest is under the loose bark of a cottonwood tree. The nest is shaped like a hammock and is attached to the tree trunk. The adults slip in and out easily, however their plumage helps them blend in nicely to the tree's bark. Although uncommon in the area I have been able to locate a nest site most years since my first find in 2005.
Red-headed Woodpeckers are also doing well in this area as we located multiple pairs along both the Big Walnut and Little Walnut.
Spotted Sandpipers were present but I worry that the recent heavy rains and high water may be playing havoc with their nests.
The cuckoos have returns to the preserve as both Yellow-billed and Black-billed were calling and we did get nice looks of a few of the individuals.
We tallied 52 species along these two water corridors. Not too bad for a hot day in late May. Of course the sound of singing Prothonotary Warblers is always my favorite.
Charlie BombaciHoover Nature Preserve