OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2018

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2018 20:53:03 +0000
     Today I worked Area M and N of the preserve. For a change the weather conditions were nice although the effects of the recent rains were very evident. I began with the path along Big Walnut Creek. The water level is unusually high for late June. I could see where the water have overrun the banks and flooded up to 100 feet from the usual shore. Low lying nesters such as Louisiana Waterthrush and Spotted Sandpipers must have suffered losses this spring and summer. I have been seeing very few of either species.

    I covered the area from the entrance at Front Street to the far reaches in the southern parts of Area N, an area most people never get to experience. I observed 13 male and 5 female Prothonotary Warblers, many of which were carrying fecal sacs. I expect to begin seeing many new fledglings about July1 to July 4. About half of the Prothonotary Warblers I observed today had been banded. They had the color coding of the birds Professor Tonra's (OSU) study at the preserve is using. Over the recent few years I understand they have banded about 150 Prothonotaries and they are banding additional birds this year. I ran into one of the students assisting the professor near the vernal pool at the beginning of Area A. These students have been earning their stripes working hard on the study. Some do not realize the conditions and habitats involved in studying Prothonotaries. If you like wading in water, mucking through mud, and trying not to trip over sunken logs and the like, Prothonotaries are fun to work with. I have been involved with the nest trail at Hoover Reservoir since 1987 and I wouldn't trade a minute. The beauty of this little vibrant golden yellow birds and knowing we can make a difference makes it worth it.

    The Red-headed Woodpeckers continue to put on their own show in Area N. I have located multiple nest cavities for them and a few Pileated Woodpecker nest cavities. Both species are currently bringing this year's brood into the world. Lots of action at the nest sites and some little heads sticking out to discover their new world.

     A surprise today were multiply Great Egrets off Area M and the islands. However I have not been finding the Northern Parula and Yellow-throated Warblers that usually haunt the areas around the sycamore trees along Big Walnut Creek. I continue to find many Yellow-billed Cuckoos near the creek. They seem to be in abundance this year. On my way back to the car I spotted a Barred Owl tucked in a vines tangle where it could hide in peace from the Blue jays and Crows.

    Charlie Bombaci, Hoover Nature Preserve