OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2011 23:43:32 -0400
Hi all,

This year's "Kite Day" - our opportunity to enter the normally off-limits Hide-A-Way Hills resort to observe Ohio's only known active Mississippi Kite nest - will be Sunday, August 14, from 1 pm until 5 pm. If you want to see what last year's Kite Day was about, go here: http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/2010/08/kite-day-success.html

Hide-A-Way Hills is in northern Hocking County, not far south of Lancaster. We were originally thinking of doing this on Saturday, August 13th but that date wasn't possible due to scheduling conflicts. The kite enthusiasts who live part-time in HAH have been on travels of late, and have not been able to observe the kite nest recently and see how things are progressing. But if all goes to schedule, the young kite - there is only one this year - should be out of the nest and free-flying by the 14th, but will still be reliant upon the adults to bring it food. This is the best time to observe the birds. Last year the adults would bring in cicadas or other morsels every ten minutes or so to the junior kites, who perched conspicuously in the tops of trees.

Anyway, if you would like to come to Kite Day, we MUST have your name as security at the entrance to Hide-A-Way Hills requires names of all visitors and we have to provide them with a roster in advance. Also, attendance is limited to 100 people, due to parking issues. If you wish to come, please email me to let me know and include names of anyone who will be coming with you. I'll send out more info to attendees - directions, etc. - sometime next week. PLEASE NOTE that this is subject to change, dependent upon the kites. Hopefully the young bird will fledge just fine and the birds will be in the area and cooperative, but things can happen and there of course are no guarantees of cooperation with wild animals.

Thanks to Elizabeth vanBalen Delphia and Melissa Krygier, the kite ambassadors and Hide-A-Way Hills residents who are making it possible for us to enter the resort and view these spectacular birds.

Jim

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio
Like Nature? http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/