OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 2 Oct 2008 12:12:33 -0400423_US-ASCII We haven't had many hummingbirds here in Wakeman, Lorain County for
awhile but have continued to fill the feeders. Today we were treated
with the arrival of a Black-Throated Blue Warbler . Fortunately it
stayed for about 10 minutes feeding and resting on the deck rail
before taking off toward the woods. It was well worth keeping the
feeders up just for this experience.
Happy birding
Dorothy46_2Oct200812:12:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 03:36:10 -0700
I was at Wildwood very late in the evening both days.  Nothing too unusual.  Yesterday (Wed) it had rained before I arrived and started raining when I left.  It was very buggy and there were many White-throated Sparrows and a lesser amount of White-crowned Sparrows up near the lake around 6pm and elsewhere to a lesser degree.  More activity yesterday because of the rain.  Here are a few highlights by each day:

10/14  5:40 - 7:30pm
Black-crowned Night-Heron (immatures) 5 (4 flew up Euclid Creek squawking -1 already in creek)
Hermit Thrush 1
White-throated - many
White-crowned - few
Kinglets - both
Yellow-rumped Warblers 25-30

10/15  5:20 to 7pm
BC Night-Herons (immatures) 2 in creek (one in same place as 10/14)
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Hermit Thrush 5
Nashville Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warblers 35+