OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:58:23 -0800
Lovely morning in North Chagrin reservation; two pileated following each other around the woods banging on trees; also saw:
1 red-tailed hawk
4 blue jays
10 house sparrows
4 downy woodpeckers
7 american crows
4 red-bellied woodpeckers
4 white-breasted nuthatches
15 black-capped chickadees
5 tufted titmouse
10 cardinals
6 dark-eyed juncos
5 goldfinches
4 american black duck
75 mallard
50 canada goose
1 song sparrow
10 american tree sparrow
1 american robin
Unfortunately there was no sign of the common redpolls and the staff haven't seen them in a week. wonder if they've gone north?

so I come home to lunch and see a Cooper's land on a tree in my backyard, which led two blue jays who were in an adjoining tree to attack. the cooper's moved to another tree followed closely by the loudly protesting jays. The jays would go a branch or two up, then swoop down and hit the Cooper's in the back (or nearly, hard to say, he was clearly annoyed) and then hop through branches back up, with the other one taking a turn during the climb. When the jay's cousins the crows (4 of 'em) came into the action poor Cooper's decided to leave the neighborhood, with the crows in pursuit. Although I wouldn't call it interspecies co-operation, it was a fascinating display.