Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:24:06 -0400
Yesterday an individual informed me that they looked for the Eastern
Screech Owl along the Alum Creek Park South in Westerville but they were
unsuccessful. They didn't know whether they couldn't spot it due to the poor  light
or if the owl just wasn't there. After spending most of the last two days
at Highbanks Metro Park assisting with the Preschool Programs, I left the
park  early this afternoon for an allergist appointment. This time of year I
enjoy the  birds but the trees lock and load my sinuses. After the allergist
stating "yes,  you're still as allergic to trees as ever," I took a route
home that brought me  to Alum Creek Park South. As I walked to the steel
bridge I picked up my FOY  Rough-winged Swallow at the small lake. I approached
the bridge from the west  and as soon as I reached it, there was the Rufous
Eastern Screech Owl  sitting at the far east end of the bridge completely in
the sunlight catching  some rays. With the afternoon sun in the west it had
found the exact location  that provided it with the maximum sun. This was
the best view I have had of this  little character and it showed the color to
its best advantage. Then as I was  walking back to the car and peeking at
knotholes much to my surprise I spotted a  second Screech Owl, this one in the
gray morf. The gray individual was on the  edge of a cavity in a beech tree
about 50 to 60 feet off the trail. Nothing  remarkable to use as a landmark
to describe the location. Is this a mated pair?  Is there another chapter
to come in this story? I hope so. It would be a good  gift for the Ohio
Breeding Bird Atlas if it can be confirmed.

Charlie Bombaci