OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

From:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:53:06 -0800
At about 2:15 today I was at Darby Bend Lakes-Prairie Oaks on Amity Road in
westernmost Franklin County and saw 2 geese that I did not recognize. I have
never seen Greater-Whitefronted Geese before (which I thought they might be),
but these didn't look exactly like the pictures in my books. They were slightly
bigger than the Canada Geese they were sitting with, and they had strikingly red
feet. The head and body were shaped like Greylag Geese that I have seen before,
but the coloring on the head was strange and they were decidedly grayer than
I've seen before. The beak was pinkish on one of them and the head had a lot of
white on it. They flew off together (heading west) after about 15 min. Any help
would be appreciated. Maybe someone saw these two out this way.

Thanks,
Verna Ansel
Galloway, OH