Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 22:25:51 -0400

Members  of the Ohio Young Birders Clubs from Oak Harbor and Columbus
participated in  their April field trip, Spring Fling in Central Ohio. Their day
got off to an  inauspicious start when Greenlawn Cemetery, a usually
productive spring birding  site, produced one (1) warbler, a Black-throated Green.
They did have a few good  birds including a Red-breasted Nuthatch, but
activity was slow. Their intrepid  leaders, Darlene Sillick and Joe Meara were
not helped by the weather  conditions. After lunch at the Grange Audubon
Center they headed north to meet  me at the Hoover Nature Preserve.
The  first car arrived about 15 minutes ahead of the others. The proverb “
the early  bird gets the worm” got a rewrite to “the early birders get the
cooperative  Prothonotary Warbler.” While we waited for the others I heard a
male  Prothonotary calling from near the board walk. The two kids walked out
on the  boardwalk with me. After encouragement via phishing a brilliantly
colored male  Prothonotary Warbler flew in and landed, where else, on the
boardwalk railing.  After flitting around to make sure we appreciated him, he
was joined by a male  Yellow Warbler and a male Yellow-rumped Warbler. A nice
start but unfortunately  it was still just the three of us.
The  remainder of the group arrived and we walked out to the end of the
boardwalk  where everyone watched the resident pair of Osprey. An immature Bald
Eagle flew  into the Osprey “No Fly Zone” and got a greeting from the male
Osprey. The eagle  headed elsewhere where it wouldn't get harassed. Other
birds observed from the  boardwalk included many Double-crested Cormorants, a
Caspian Tern among the  Ring-billed Gulls, and a male Wood Duck.
I  wanted to take the group into the back of Area N for Prothonotary
Warblers and  other resident species. The unusually high water made the usual
route  impractical so I did a flanking maneuver and took them along the high
ground.  Almost immediately we encountered two or three Northern Parula. Soon
we began  hearing the “sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet” call of Prothonotary
Warblers. In all  we saw or heard about 15 PROWs. A few other species that the
kids enjoyed were  Red-headed Woodpecker, a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers at
their nest cavity, an  Eastern Kingbird, Yellow-throated Warbler, a Pine
Warbler, Spotted Sandpiper and  numerous Yellow-rumped Warblers. Back at the
parking lot Darlene added a Black  & White Warbler.
Sunshine  would have been nice but still it appears that everyone had a
good time and saw  some nice birds.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover  Nature Preserve
SPECIES  LIST