OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2018

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2018 20:16:34 +0000
     We launch the H.M.S. Hoover this morning from the Twin Bridges Boat launch on Redbank Road in Galena. Our objective was to monitor the two inlets at the Twin Bridges and then proceed to monitor along parts of the eastern shoreline of Hoover Reservoir. Good intentions turned into a day of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Good, the weather was pleasant with mild temperatures, clear skies and a slight breeze and the Prothonotary Warblers were the frosting on my cake. The Bad, the humidity began to climb and too many House Wrens were in the area. The Ugly, the motor on the boat quit. We eventually limped in on the trolling motor.    We observed 10 Prothonotary Warblers in the two inlets at Twin Bridges and we were able to identify the basic border of five of the territories. We watched the adults wing in with food offerings for their brood and back out and across the water to disposed of fecal sacs away from the nest site. None of the individuals we observed had been banded. We had one very cooperative male that perched on a limb right above us and proceeded to serenade us. He didn't seem to care about our presence close to him. A second flew out to the boat to investigate, didn't seem to find us interesting and he went back to his perch and began to sing. Several of the territories were very close and we watched the resident males chase each other about.    Nearby we located a Red-headed Woodpecker nest hole. The adults here were also very busy tending to their offspring.     Across the inlet we heard an Acadian Flycatcher calling. Later as we passed the general area I managed to spot the nest with the female settled into it with just her head poking out.    We located a Ruby-throated Hummingbird as it worked a button bush catching tiny insects. I assume this was intended as protein for nestlings.     Under both bridges there were large colonies of Cliff Swallows. Most of the nests appeared to already be empty and the others generally had only one hatchling looking back at us. We estimated approximately 100 nests  all.    A Red-shouldered Hawk soared above us calling constantly. The forested area surrounding the inlets has ideal habitat for the species to nest. The area near the boat launch is home to a large population of Turkey Vultures. As I understand it there once was a rendering plant in the area, sort of like having your own Home Buffet. Now we are seeing more Black Vultures with the Turkey Vultures. They have expanded their range northward and are no longer a rare sight at Hoover Reservoir.     We never got past the inlets since the motor quit. But in these two areas we saw 45 species and I located some new Prothonotary warbler territories.
    Charlie Bombaci, Hoover Nature Preserve