OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:25:16 -0500
Hi Laura,

I wanted to follow-up on your question regarding Kestrels in Ohio.  After the last discussion on the listserv about the status of this species in the state I started looking at some Audubon Christmas Bird Count data to see if I could discern any patterns in population trends.

I looked at Kestrel data (birds per party hour) from almost all of the CBCs in Ohio between 1960 (61st count) and 2005 (106th count).  Using this data I was able to come up with a statewide trend for Kestrels in the state.

I went through each count in the state and categorized them into one of four categories based on a rough estimation of the predominant habitat type within each count circle.  The four categories were rural, urban, areas undergoing sprawl, or communities that have pretty much remained the same.

I then looked at Kestrel trends for each of the four habitat types and compared them against the statewide trend.

My rough analysis of CBC data suggests that over-wintering Kestrels are increasing statewide.  However, they're increasing more in rural areas, and slightly more in communities that have not undergone much change.  They seem to be decreasing pretty dramatically in urban areas.  In communities undergoing change (i.e. development) Kestrels seem to be leveling out.

Because over-wintering Kestrels seem to be increasing, based on this study, in rural areas irrespective of region of the state or agricultural type (which I did not examine) would potentially suggest that crop type or herbicide use may not be a factor.

Again, this was just a rough analysis without any special statistical analysis to determine significance, etc., and it's only looking at birds recorded during the Christmas Bird Count period (mid-December to early January).  I can send copies of the graphs in a microsoft word document to anyone who is interested in seeing them for themselves.

Hope this helps answer your question a little,

Casey