OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:06:15 -0500
Hi All,

First, let me apologize for posting this on the listserv.  I know these discussions are what the forum was created for and my initial response was to help address the questions that Laura posted to the list.  I hope folks don't mind too much.

While Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) trend data between 1966-2005  seems to suggest that Kestrels have been decreasing across the United States by 0.1 % per year,  interestingly the Ohio BBS data actually suggests that they've been increasing by 1.4 %/per year (see: http://tinyurl.com/2lnonj <http://tinyurl.com/2lnonj> ).  If anyone wants to check the trend data themselves they can visit the Breeding Bird Survey page for Kestrels: http://tinyurl.com/3byge3

One of the things we have to remember is that BBS data is looking at abundance of breeding individuals, whereas Breeding Bird Atlas data is only looking for  presence or absence of breeding indviduals.  So in a Breeding Bird Atlas you could have 10, 100, 1000 individuals and it would only show up as present or absent.  Breeding Bird Atlases are helpful in understand where birds are breeding in the state, whereas Breeding Bird Surveys help us get an idea of how many individuals are breeding.  So if preliminary Breeding Bird Atlas data is suggesting that they've disappeared in some locations (for example in urban areas or areas undergoing development), it may also mean that they're breeding in other locations they may not have bred previously OR they are breeding in some locations in higher densities OR it may mean it's only the first year of a five year study and we need more observations to get a better picture of what is happening.

Jim's observation of CBC data regarding numbers of participants on CBCs and Kestrels is an interesting one.  Unfortunately, we can't always assume that because there are more people out looking that we will see more birds.  Additionally, just comparing two points is problematic because one point might have been from an unusual year where we had an influx of Kestrels into the state, or an outflow of Kestrels.  For example, the 1995-96 count had 1399 Kestrels with 1300 observers, but the 1999-2000 count had 1390 Kestrels with 1251 observers.  Additionally, the 1998-99 count had 928 Kestrels with 1095 observers and the 2005-2006 count had 975 Kestrels with 1437 obsevers.  For these reasons it's better to look at trends, and take into consideration effort which is reported as party hours on CBCs.

I think before we can make claims about the impact of agriculture on Kestrels we have to get some better data on changes in land use for agricultural purposes as well as agricultural practices (no till vs. till, pesticide usage, etc.).  Anecdotally, agriculture has been changing in the state.  Medium-sized farms are disappearing either due to purchase by big industrial farms, or division into housing developments.  That being said, small individual or family farms are also increasing, as are organic farms.  Again, this is all anecdotal and would need to be supported by some actual data.

Interestingly, in September there will be a one-day symposium titled "Are American Kestrels in Decline?" that will explore this very issue.  The symposium is being held in Pennsylvania.  It will be interesting to see what comes out of that conference.

There's also a group called Kestrels Across America that has been working to promote the installation of Kestrel nest boxes.  You can check them out here:  http://www.kestrelsacrossamerica.org/

Obviously, regardless of whether they're decreasing or not anything that you can do, like the installation of a Kestrel nest box on your property and reducing use of pesticides, is beneficial for them and should not be discouraged.  It's a good way of ensuring that you'll see them locally more often.

Again, I'd be more than happy to share the data analysis I generated with folks who are interested.

Thanks!

Casey Tucker

Columbus, OH