OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:15:57 EST
Returning from our cottage in Coshocton Co. today, Tim & I drove some  back
roads in Holmes Co. & were lucky enough to find a flock of 10-20  American
Pipits feeding on some freshly spread manure.  They were on CR 58  just west of
the intersection with T122 & T128. (Delorme 60A4--right above  the"N" in
Mechanic Township).  Also saw a Rough-legged Hawk on T157, just  outside of Charm
(DeLorme 51D4).

While driving these roads we saw quite a few kestrels, more than we have
seen in similar habitat in other rural areas of Coshocton, Stark, Summit &
Portage counties. (The counties we drive most often).  Remembering the  discussions
we have seen on this list-serve regarding possible kestrel  population
declines, we wondered what might be different in Holmes Co.   Could the use of
Round-up Ready crops that has become so popular in recent  years be a factor?  It
is quite likely that these Round-up treated  seeds are not used as heavly on
Amish farms.  These treated seeds result in  less weeds, which should mean less
insects & therefore less food for  kestrels.  Or could the insects that are
present have toxins in them from  the treated seeds?  Would any of this
hypotheses result in kestrels either  dying or moving to other areas, such as Holmes
Co.?  Has anyone else  noticed more kestrels in some counties that have less
soybean/corn row crop  production where Round-up Ready seed is more prevelant?

Laura Dornan
Louisville, Stark Co.