OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
John Kuenzli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Kuenzli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:40:03 -0400
Hoover reservoir was pretty good this morning, both for shorebirds and
otherwise.  I visited the East Shore and the Wiese Rd./Boardwalk areas.
Most shorebirds were in the latter spots (as were the waterfowl), but the
best landbirds were along the east shore.  The diversity there was good but
numbers were low.

Shorebirds:
-Killdeer
-Semipalmated Plover - 16
-Black-bellied Plover - 1
-American Golden-Plover - 1
-Spotted Sandpiper - 14
-Pectoral Sandpiper - 17
-Greater Yellowlegs - 16 (most along Wiese Rd.)
-Lesser Yellowlegs - 16
-Least Sandpiper - 38
-Semipalmated Sandpiper - 14
-Stilt Sandpiper - 2
-LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER - 1 (first of the season for me)

-Also a lone Caspian Tern

Waterfowl: small numbers of Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, Northern
Shovelers, Wood Ducks, and American Wigeon

Landbirds:
-Horned Larks - many flybys over the mudflats
-Sharp-shinned Hawk (on Pelican Island)
-YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER - 1 (juvenile)
-Red-breasted Nuthatch - 4 (flybys)
-Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
-Least Flycatcher - 2
-"Trail's" Flycatcher - 2 (neither calling)
-Yellow-rumped Warbler - 6
-Black-throated Green Warbler - 2
-Nashville Warbler - 2
-MOURNING WARBLER - 1 (nice male bird across from Pelican Island)
-Blackburnian Warbler - 1
-Tennessee Warbler - 1
-Chestnut-sided Warbler - 1
-Magnolia Warbler - 1