Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:47:09 EDT
Hello!

Yesterday afternoon and evening, I hiked various parts of Highbanks
including the Dripping Rock, Overlook, and Wetland trails, and the back half of  the
pet trail.  Also, I parked my car near the river where I observed a
Yellow-Throated Warbler (first of year) in the sycamore trees.  Highlights  of the more
notable terrestrial birds seen and/or heard during the hike are as  follows:

Swallows-about 35-40 Tree, 2 Barn, and 4 Northern Rough-Winged at the
wetlands
Winter Wren-1 (for the last several days) in the woods loop of the pet  trail
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker-1 male along Dripping Rock
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher-2 along Dripping Rock
Eastern Phoebe-2 along Dripping Rock
Yellow-Rumped Warbler-about 12 total
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
Swamp Sparrow-2 in back loop of pet trail
White-Throated Sparrow-several seen and heard (both chips and song)
Eastern Bluebird-3 total (also 3 eggs in one of the boxes that I  monitor)
Brown Creeper-2 along Dripping Rock
Eastern Towhee-about 10 total

The following waterfowl also were observed:

Blue-Winged Teal-2 at pond by barn, and 3 pairs in wet area observed across
river from Overlook deck
Northern Shoveler-1 male at wetlands
Ring-Necked Duck-2 pairs at wetlands
Wood Duck-9 at wetlands, 2 pairs in wet area across Overlook deck
Great Egret-2 in wet area across Overlook deck
Bufflehead-1 at wetlands
Hooded Merganser-1 male and 3 females at wetlands
Lesser Scaup-1 male at pond by barn, 15 at wetlands

Directions to Highbanks can be found at _www.metroparks.net_
(http://www.metroparks.net)  and on the OOS web  site.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio