Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:46:57 -0400
      Hey, new yard bird today, a lone PINE SISKIN was at my feeders most of the day, was still there when I left for work at 5:30pm. It was funny how I first saw him, I had just hung some clothes out to dry on the back line, and was walking back up towards the house when a bird dropped in onto the thistle feeder. We stared at each other for several moments this finch and I. I was about 10 feet away from the feeder and I said to myself "hey, thats a Pine Siskin" I went inside and he flew off and then returned for me to digiscope him from my dining room out the window. Cool deal.

    We had the Birdwalk yesterday at the BFEC. It was a pretty good time highlight might have actually been a mammal sighting. We were all watching a female N. Parula as it foraged down near the ground (foot off the ground) when what seemed to be a young Long-tailed Weasel (or some other species of Weasel, Short-tailed isn't supposed to be that widespread, but could have been one) popped out from a Stump right behind the bird. Luckily the weasel didn't go for the bird and just hopped across the trail for excellent views for our small group. The Eastern Towhees followed escorted it everywhere it went, keeping tabs. It was pretty fun. Also we found a pair of BG GNATCATCERS gnest building. They had pretty much finished acutally, these birds work fast (they do everything fast really) they've only been around a week or so.

Yellow-throated Vireo - 3 new arrivals

White-eyed Vireo   - 2 singing males new arrivals

Yellow-Rumped Warbler - 3 singing

Yellow Warbler - 3

Northern Parula - 5

Yellow-throated Warbler - 4, had good looks at a couple after everyone left, typical.

BG Gnatcatcher - 4 two building nest

Am Tree Swallow - 10+

Chimney Swifts

Eastern Bluebird   - 6

Field Sparrow - 4

DarkEyed Junco - 3

White-throated Sparrow - 6 singing about old sam

GB Heron

Wood Ducks

Red-tailed Hawk

Cooper's Hawk

House Wrens - checking out their box

Carolina Wren

etc.

     Good Birding,

            - Ben Warner   if you want to see the pics of the Siskin I took go to this link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2016607&l=79e21&id=164901416