Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:40:52 EDT
Hello!

I hiked several areas of Highbanks yesterday evening and this  evening.  I
hiked to the wetlands via the Overlook Trail on both evenings,  the Pet and
Dripping Rock Trails yesterday, and part of the Dripping Rock  Trail this evening.
 Highlights included the following:

Brown Thrasher-1 first of season singing at the wetlands this  evening.  Not
seen/heard anywhere last evening.

Louisiana Waterthrush-1 first of season singing in the ravine by the
sycamore tree where the owls nested.  Not seen/heard anywhere last  evening.

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet-1 first of season along Pet Trail last evening and 2
near wetlands this evening.

Golden-Crowned Kinglet-saw/heard 2 or 3 both evenings.  They must be
migrating through as a couple if any were observed at the park this past winter.

Great-Horned Owl-I thought I heard the screeching of a fledgling both
evenings from areas away from the nest tree along Dripping Rock.  If so, it  appears
that at a fledgling has left the nest.  This evening saw the  female perched
in a pine by the nest tree with a freshly killed gray  squirrel.  She flew
with it down the ravine from the nest tree.   As I was leaving the area, I saw
the male perched high on top of a tree in the  Mansion area.  Last evening, I
heard the hoot of one along the Overlook  Trail.  It literally sounded as if it
was within 50 feet from me but I  couldn't spot it in the post-dusk light.

Eastern Bluebird-out of the 10 boxes that I monitor in the middle and  back
part of the Pet Trail, I had full nests in 2 (no eggs) and partial nests in  2
others.  One or two Bluebirds were observed on both evenings.  I  hope this is
a good sign for a productive year as last year I had only 1  box from which
Bluebirds fledged.  Overall, numbers of Bluebirds  fledged at the park were
down about 75% last year compared to previous  years.

American Woodcock-saw and heard several at dusk in different areas of the
park.  The best area appears to be along the main road before you get to  the
Nature Center turnoff.

Eastern Phoebe-a few are still singing the past few evenings.  In the  last 3
weeks, I've seen/heard as many as 7 or 8 along the Dripping Rock and
Overlook Trails.

Yellow-Breasted Sapsucker-saw 1 beautiful male along the Pet Trail last
evening.

Brown Creeper-saw/heard 1 on both evenings.

Fox Sparrow-numbers are way down to just a couple as compared to last week
when I saw one flock containing at least 15 near the pond by the Pet Trail  and
saw several other smaller flocks.

Yellow-Rumped Warbler-saw 1 last evening and 3 this evening.  This  species
was observed all winter at the park (especially along the Pet Trail) for  the
first time that I know of in the past 6 years.

Field Sparrow-saw/heard 4 or 5 on both evenings.  One overwintered  with Song
and Tree Sparrows in a brush pile near the barn by the pond.

At the wetlands, the following waterfowl were observed (last evening and
this evening):

Lesser Scaup-about 23-25 on both evenings
Northern Shoveler-4 last evening
Ring-Necked Duck-7 and 10
Blue-Winged Teal-7 last evening
Bufflehead-7 and 8
Hooded Merganser-4 and 6
Pied-Billed Grebe-1 and 2
Wood Duck-6 and 10

Also, there were about 6 Tree Swallows at the wetlands last evening  and
about 15 this evening.

As an aside, I still have a Red-Breasted Nuthatch coming to my peanut  feeder
in my back yard.  A pair has been observed at that feeder since the
beginning of October 2007 through the middle of February 2008.  A single  one has been
seen since that time.  Also, two first of the season Chipping  Sparrows were
seen in our yard on last Friday.  We have had a  pair nest in our Blue Spruce
for the past several years. I live  in the neighborhood just north of
Highbanks.

Directions to Highbanks are on the OOS web site and also can be found at
_www.metroparks.net_ (http://www.metroparks.net) .

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio