From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:00:36 -0700
Hi all---First, a safety note: I heard gunfire at one of the state wildlife areas yesterday, I suppose it is turkey season now.  I picked up ticks on my first couple walks, too.  Otherwise, a great day out in the field in this part of the state.  Nothing as rare as the hot birds in W Ohio, but still quite rewarding overall.  Started in early morning at Orwell Marsh in Ashtabula Co.  I didn't hear any rails call, but did find wood ducks, 20+ blue-winged teal, n. shovelers, 20 green-winged teal, ring-necked ducks, bufflehead, hooded mergansers, 6 greater yellowlegs, 6 lesser yellowlegs, spotted sandpiper, 6 Wilson's snipe, a calling barred owl, yellow-rumped warbler, savannah sparrow, and swamp sparrows.  Next, I went straight west on Rte. 322 to the north end of East Branch Res. in Geauga Co.  The osprey nest there is easily viewed from the roadside, and both of the pair were present.  Also found here were c. loon, pied-billed grebe, and d-c
 cormorants.  From there I went down to Grand River WA in Trumbull Co.  I walked around the Norton Ponds area quite a bit; at the Hyde-Oakfield area there were hunters, so I didn't walk out to the big wetland there.  The list from Grand River WA included: wood ducks, 16 Am. wigeon, 10 blue-winged teal, 10 n. shovelers, ring-necked duck, buffleheads, pied-billed grebes, green heron, 2+ Cooper's hawks, Am. kestrel, horned lark, e. bluebird, and swamp sparrows.  Next I went to Mosquito L/WA, here were: gadwalls, blue-winged teal, 17 Am. wigeon, n. shovelers, green-winged teal, ring-necked ducks, lesser scaups, 24 buffleheads, red-breasted mergansers, 400+ ruddy ducks, p-b grebe, wild turkey, 2 Am. kestrels, 3 Bonaparte's gulls, e. phoebe, 3 purple martins (at nesting houses), e. bluebird, e. towhee, field sparrows, and e. meadowlark.  I headed back to Mahoning Co. next, hoping to find some more shorebirds, etc.  In Beaver Twp. were wood duck,
 blue-winged teal, lesser scaups, ruddy ducks, p-b grebe, Cooper's hawk, Am. coots, 8 greater yellowlegs, 15 Wilson's snipe, horned larks, purple martins (at houses again), and savannah sparrow.  In southern Poland Twp. I found blue-winged teal, n. shovelers, brown thrasher, and best of all--2 young great horned owls in the nest I've been monitoring.  Finally, I looked around some in Coitsville Twp.  On usually-boring King's L. were lesser scaup, bufflehead, red-breasted merganser, ruddy ducks, and pied-billed grebes.  Two tiny ponds elsewhere each held a pair of buffleheads at point-blank range.  An awesome way to end the day!!  Later, Craig