OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:34:03 -0800
I have done a lot of trekking around eastern Mahoning Co. the last few days.  Today the highlight was a handsome basic-plumaged red-throated loon at Pine L., which is melted now.  Also present there were all 3 mergansers, 10 horned grebes, and FOS double-crested cormorant.  A few days ago a flock of 23 tundra swans rested there.  I checked Evans L., it is still largely frozen.  The recent Ross's goose has not been refound since the first day, and is likely gone.  The pond/lake behind Avion on Western Reserve Rd. in Beaver Twp. continues to attract lots of waterfowl.  Today there were 4 tundra swans, a few days ago 46 were present along with 23 greater white-fronted geese.  Recent good counts there of ducks include 32 canvasbacks and 280 redheads.  Flooded fields in this area held a bunch of puddle ducks today.  At Lynn Rd./Bassinger Rd. were 14 wood ducks, Am. wigeons, 75 mallards, Am. black ducks, 20 n. pintails, and green-winged teal.  A
 little west of there in Green Twp. along Rte. 46 just south of Calla Rd. were more Canada geese, 10 Am. wigeon, 70 mallards, Am. black ducks, 62 n. pintails, 3 green-winged teal, and ring-necked ducks.  I didn't see any unusual geese today.  Waterfowl migration in eastern Mahoning Co. has been very dynamic this spring, with numbers and variety changing daily.  Some birds are definitely moving around during the day also.  Plus the preferred gathering spots change depending on rain etc.  Last note--FOS e. meadowlark and n. harrier around Poland Twp. lately....Craig Holt