From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 20:22:48 -0400
Birding in Ohio in April, who could ask for more. In the past two days my wife Denise and I, along with birding friends, found 99 bird species in three counties: Mahoning, Holmes, and Wayne. Obviously, the most excitement was at Evans Lake in Mahoning County. Western Grebe, Red-necked Grebe, Red-throated Loon, and American White Pelican, all from the same scope setup; WOW!!! Fortunately these birds were also seen today by many visiting birders who were patient. Two memorable moments related to this part of our adventure were: seeing the Western Grebe with two Horned Grebes directly in front of it for size comparison; and also seeing the Western Grebe side by side with the Red-necked Grebe, once in a lifetime. This morning at another Mahoning County location, we started the day with some first of the year birds: 2 Soras, 3 Virginia Rails, and an American Bittern. The main highlight yesterday was our unsuccessful pursuit of a White Ibis reported near Funk in Holmes County. Two hours devoted to the only disappointment of the weekend. Some other highlights from yesterday were: Long-eared Owl, Western Meadowlark, 50 Pectoral Sandpipers, 20 Wilson's Snipe, a male Eurasian Wigeon,  2 Forster's Tern, 15 Lesser Yellowlegs, and 20 Bonaparte's Gulls. Add to this, Bald Eagles at two nest locations; it just doesn't get any better than this! On birding weekends like this, the rare bird atmosphere brings old birding acquaintances together again, and you never want the weekend to end. As good as April has been, what will May bring?

Bob Lane / Mahoning~Columbiana County